Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Well...Hmm! Gas!

Yesterday I attended my 3.5 hour pre-surgical educational class.  It was pretty much what I expected it to be.  I met some very nice ladies who are getting their surgery next week too.

I did learn one important piece of information that I think will help me post-op, and something I didn't even think about. 

I've been reading on LBT about the post-op Gas...so I was prepared and took many posters suggestions for products.  I have my Camomile Tea, Gas X, Mylanta etc.  ready to go.  However, the surgical nurse said...it's all a waste of money, it won't work...period.  She said that you can take all of the anti-gas remedies you want, but it's not your stomach that's holding the gas...it's your abdominal cavity, so none of it is going to reach the offending gas...only walking and time will help.  Makes sense.  I thought I'd post about it.

My 1:1 appointment with the surgeon went well too...and I'm ready to go.  7 more days!! YAY!

XOXO,
Amy

4 comments:

  1. I found this out the hard way. I bought Gas X strips out of desperation, but they didn't really work. Lots of burping and farting out the internal gas are in your future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I walked a LOT in the 24 hours after post-op and thankfully, had no problems with gas. The first inkling I thought I had some and it was just the initial narcs wearing off and starting to feel pressure (not pain) where the band was placed.

    So walk AND don't be afraid to take the pain meds offered. (There's no prize for whomever thinks they don't need em.) This will help you distinguish between surgery pain and gas. You see 5 (or however many) little holes in your belly and forget that a LOT more had gone on inside.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people use a heating pad which helps the body absorb the gas which is inside you. You can't burp or fart it out but some people do get intestinal gas and so the GasX does work for some. I didn't need it but got it anyway. When you are eating just liquids and protein drinks your stomach does strange things. The walking works wonders. Standing in a hot shower helped me too. And pain meds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Amy! Thanks for your nice post on my blog -- I am psyched that you liked the soup recipes! :)

    On post-op gas, definitely walk around a lot, and I wish I would have had a heating pad. I feel like that would have helped.

    Also, I liked that thought about doing more for yourself. If you think about it, all of the things you are doing for your health are for your family's benefit as well as yours! :) So, if it helps, you can think of your gym time as being for them! :)

    Congratulations on your surgery date. I know it seems totally unreal and unimaginable right now, but you are going to be surprised to find that your Super Goal is really attainable.

    Best wishes,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete