Friday, May 21, 2010

And So It Is...

I'm banded.

This is day 2 post op, and i'm feeling pretty good.  Groggy from the pain medications, and burpy from the gas.  But all in all I feel pretty good.

I checked into the hospital at 5:30am on Wednesday and went through all the pre-op stuff.  I had to take a pregnancy test...Negative.  Good thing otherwise there was some immaculate conception stuff going on.  I had to rinse my mouth with Listerine.  They said it was to rid my mouth of bacteria, I think they just didn't want to have a patient with stinky breath.  I had to swish my mouth with liquid Nystatin.  It was gross -  but Thrush is grosser, so I swished.  I got my IV...it took two trys.  Apparently I have thick skin for a fair skinned red head.  I have a nasty bruise where they first tried the IV.  I got a shot in my tummy...they said it would hurt - it didn't.  It was for blood clotting.  They let me pee.  Then they gave me something good in my IV, I remember one male nurse mentioned something about a margherita...I don't remember a whole lot after that.  The wheeled me into the OR and I remember a mask...

Next thing I was in the recovery room.  I was in and out - my throat hurt from the tube, and I really wanted water or something - but couldn't have it until I had my radiology stuff.  They got me right in there and I had to sip two kinds of nasty stuff  so they could make sure the band wasn't leaking and it was placed properly.  Everything looked good.  I was still in and out of it from the anesthesia.  I went back to the day surgery recovery area.  Once they had my radiology results - I had ice.  Best Stuff Ever.  I went pee, they took out my IV and I got dressed....I was on my way home at 12:30pm.

My best friends so far have been:  My recliner, my heating pad, a body pillow, vicodin and water to sip on.  I showered last night and that felt good.   I'm having only a little shoulder pain, and when I feel it - I get up and walk around...burp big and it goes away.  I haven't taken any of the gas meds I bought.  I'm not hungry, not in the phsycial sense - my head thinks i'm hungry though.  I keep thinking of my daughters birthday cake in the fridge or the pan of delicious spaghetti the church brought over for my family.  I'm well hydrated - but the protein intake is much harder to manage.  It all just tastes so foul and artificial.  I'm trying though.  

Anyway, I just wanted to give a little update.  I'm hanging in there.

XOXO,
Amy 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Glad everything went smoothly and you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So glad you are not in a lot of pain, as others have metioned they have been. I really hope I am one of the few that doesn't get a lot of gas pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! thinking of you in richmond! Good luck... hope maybe we can meet up sometime since we're both in VA! Holler if you have questions - we all love answering them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are doing well! I lived on sugar free popsicles for a few days post-op--nothing else sounded remotely yummy.

    Welcome to Bandland, hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the other side...let the fun begin!!

    ReplyDelete